THE “BUCKET TEST” WILL DETERMINE IF WATER LOSS IN A POOL AND/OR SPA IS DUE TO EVAPORATION OR A LEAK:
- 1. Bring pool water to normal level
- 2. Fill 5 gallon bucket with pool water about 3-4 inches from top
- 3. Place bucket on first or second step of pool
- 4. Place a weight inside bucket so that the bucket does not float away from the step
- 5. With the pump off, mark water level on both the inside and outside of bucket
- 6. If possible, make sure that the water level inside the bucket is the same as the pool/spa water level outside of the bucket
- 7. Resume normal pump operation.
- 8. After 24 hours, compare the two levels. If the pool water (outside mark) goes down more than the inside water level, there is probably a leak
MAKE SURE THE AUTO/MANUAL FILL VALVE IS SHUT OFF DURING THE TEST.
NOTE! HOT, DRY WEATHER, WATER TEMPERATURE, WIND, AND SUN CAN ALL AFFECT THE RATE OF EVAPORATION.
NORMAL WATER LOSS FROM AN UNCOVERED POOL AND/OR SPA, CAN BE UP TO 1/4″ IN A 24-HOUR PERIOD.
IN CASE OF RAIN, REPEAT THE TEST
TEST IS NOT VALID AFTER 24 HOURS